Thursday, October 18, 2007

Please Don't Leave Kobe



Yesterday, Kobe's bad attitude got to me. I was tired of all the petty bitching and whining. I, like most Laker fans, understand that Mitch Kupchak would lose badly on the show "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" and Jim Buss thinks he's Napolean. But the possibility of Kobe leaving had me thinking of trade possibilities for the first time. I said I'd be OK with a Dirk/Jason Terry combo or maybe even Dirk straight up.

I must have forgot that Kobe is God.

He's the only player in the league that can do anything he wants at any time. He took only three shots in the first quarter tonight, moved the ball around, got others involved, relaxed and let his teammates get their shots. Then in the third quarter, he took a few minutes to let the Sonics know, "I am the best player in all the land."

Maybe he looked at the scoreboard and saw that the Sonics cut the Lakers 15 point halftime lead to five. Or maybe he just said "Hey, I haven't scored in a while, let me just get a quick 16 and go to the bench."

So he did. 22-foot jumper. Cash. Next possession, deep 3. Money. Next possession, another long jumper. Swish. After a Ronny Turiaf missed layup, Kobe another 3. Nothing but net. And just for the hell of it, he'd draw two fouls and make the Lakers next four points from the free throw line.

So that was a total of 16 points in just over 3 minutes. Lakers led by 5 and then they led by 19. The Bakersfield fans chanted Kobe's name, MVP, and held signs that said "Kobe Stay in LA."
Enough said.

Doug Collins and Andrew Bynum sitting in the tree...
What's with this Doug Collins love fest with Andrew Bynum. I know Bynum had a good game but he was going against the excellent troika of Robert Swift (who has 108 tattoos, which is the answer to a future trivia question), Saer Sane, and Johan Petro.

Where's Paul McPherson? check this out

Random Laker of the Day: Chucky Atkins

No comments: